Engineering ManagerChicago, IL
Tock is changing the way restaurants, wineries, and culinary event organizers run their business and how guests explore, discover, and book at these places all around the globe. This includes a robust reservation, pickup and delivery, guest, and table management system for businesses of all sizes.
Nick Kokonas and Chef Grant Achatz opened Alinea to international fanfare in 2005—now a perennial Michelin three star and widely considered one of the best restaurants in the world. From the start they were spending an average of $140,000 a year on staff dedicated to managing reservations and losing an average of $260,000 a year on cancellations, problems Nick wanted to solve. Nick founded Tock with Brian Fitzpatrick, founder of Google's Chicago engineering office, to do just that — to design and develop a new, robust reservation platform to change the way people around the world search, book, and dine.
Tock’s explosive growth (as of May 2020):
- Awarded Built In’s “2020 Best Places to Work”
- Announced Tock’s platform will be powering JP Morgan Chase’s new Dining Program
- Won Chicago Tribune's "Game Changer" Award for industry innovation
- Reached a global customer base of 30 countries operating in 200+ cities
- Processed almost $1 billion in prepaid reservations
- Featured in: New York Times, Bloomberg, GQ, Vice, Wired, Food & Wine, Eater, Skift Table, Chicago Tribune, Crain's Chicago Business, New York Post, and more
- Named one of 2019's 50 Startups to Watch
What we’re looking for
What you’ll do
In this role, you'll be hands-on, participating in all aspects of software development while providing technical leadership to a team of software engineers. You'll be helping us build the next generation restaurant ticketing system, based on the tried and true (and proven) system deployed at world-class restaurants such as Alinea, Next, The French Laundry, and more. The ideal candidate has both technical and leadership experience and isn't afraid to jump in the trenches and lead by example. Our team is pretty small (almost a dozen engineers and a few designers), and undergoing exponential growth, so there's a great opportunity for you to make a difference.
- Manage a team of Software Engineers, including task planning and the occasional code review.
- Share knowledge with team members via a mentoring relationship, reviewing code, giving technical talks, or as a consultant on projects.
- Contribute to the adoption of strong software architecture, development of best practices, and new technologies. Be a leader within your team and the organization.
- Build next-generation web applications that are fast and responsive.
- Be able to build a feature or enhancement, starting with engineering design taking it all the way to production.
- Work closely with Product Management to ensure we're building great products.
- Demonstrate problem solving and technical innovation capable of "rolling-up sleeves" and "getting hands dirty".
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Full benefits (medical, dental, vision), 401k
- Paid time off
- Paid parental leave
Please submit your resume and cover letter, letting us know why you're interested in Tock, using the link below.