Senior Art Director / Designer — Chicago, IL
Tock is changing the way restaurants, wineries, and culinary event organizers run their business. This includes a robust reservation, guest, and table management system for businesses of all sizes across the globe.
Nick Kokonas and Chef Grant Achatz opened Alinea to international fanfare in 2005 - now a perennial Michelin three star and widely considered one of the best restaurants in the world. For years they were spending $140,000 a year on staff dedicated to managing reservations and losing an average of $260,000 a year on cancellations. Knowing there had to be a solution, Nick started work on a new reservation system. The homemade platform was a success. Soon after, Nick founded Tock with Brian Fitzpatrick, founder of Google's Chicago engineering office, to turn this simple idea into a robust platform to change the way people dine around the world.
Tock’s explosive growth (as of October 2019):
- Reached a global customer base of over 1,600 businesses in over 28 countries operating in 100+ cities
- Has booked over 20 million guests
- Has processed over $600 million in prepaid reservations
- Named one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative companies
- Won Chicago Tribune's "Game Changer" Award for industry innovation
What We’re Looking For
We are looking for a brand-obsessed art director/designer with an extensive digital background. The position is responsible for delivering high-performing, on-brand, creative assets for web, email, social media, and digital acquisition ads. We’re looking for someone who wants to meaningfully contribute to our business and is looking for the right place to do it all.
What You’ll Do
- Support marketing and sales with a primary focus on digital campaigns, email campaigns (B2B and B2C), landing pages, and sales collateral and presentations
- Performance-focused design: building a creative strategy and develop digital assets aimed at hitting key performance metrics (e.g. click-through rate, conversion rate, activation rate) across social media platforms
- Create ads that clearly communicate Tock’s value to new and existing customers (B2B) and guests (B2C)
- Create a catalog of ads and optimize quickly working closely with the marketing manager
- Manage and design projects with limited lead time
- Work closely with the Marketing, Sales, Product, and Creative teams to develop design concepts and build performance ads that drive acquisition on our digital channels
- Collaborate with design leads and external teams to ensure new campaigns and design work are produced at standards that uphold/elevate the company’s brand identity—always with a customer-focus
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Great design skills that cover a wide range of creative execution including interactive, digital, social, email
- Portfolio demonstrating past experience launching major campaigns
- Proficient knowledge in Sketch or Figma, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Basic HTML and CSS coding experience or willingness to learn (primarily for e-mail)
- Experience designing specifically for the email channel with a complete understanding of email design best practices
- Experience working quickly and efficiently, and keeping pace in a startup environment
- Be comfortable with projects that may not be completely defined and use a scrappy, resourceful approach to bring definition and drive results when needed
- Experience working with writing partners to develop concepts, through to execution
- Demonstrate strong collaboration and communication skills
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills: meet tight deadlines and manage multiple projects at once
- Bachelor’s degree in design preferred
The marketing team brings a broad range of skills to the table across strategy, design, coding, and creative writing. We work in a close-knit environment with the shared objective of growing global interest and awareness of Tock across the restaurant, winery, and event industries. We use a data-driven approach to identify the most effective marketing channels. We pride ourselves on test-and-learn strategies and aren’t afraid to be a bit audacious (it’s easy when your CEO encourages it). The team is creative, nimble, and passionate about helping not only our customers succeed in a very competitive market, but also helping guests discover and experience something uniquely delicious.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary
- Full benefits (medical, dental, vision), 401k
- Paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- Free daily lunch
- Nitro coffee on tap
Please submit your resume and cover letter, letting us know why you're interested in Tock, using the link below.