Senior UI Designer — Chicago, IL
Tock is changing the way restaurants, wineries, and culinary event organizers run their business. This includes a robust reservation, guest, and table management system for businesses of all sizes across the globe.
Nick Kokonas and Chef Grant Achatz opened Alinea to international fanfare in 2005 - now a perennial Michelin three star and widely considered one of the best restaurants in the world. For years they were spending $140,000 a year on staff dedicated to managing reservations and losing an average of $260,000 a year on cancellations. Knowing there had to be a solution, Nick started work on a new reservation system. The homemade platform was a success. Soon after, Nick founded Tock with Brian Fitzpatrick, founder of Google's Chicago engineering office, to turn this simple idea into a robust platform to change the way people dine around the world.
Tock’s explosive growth (as of October 2019):
- Reached a global customer base of over 1,600 businesses in over 28 countries operating in 100+ cities
- Has booked over 20 million guests
- Has processed over $600 million in prepaid reservations
- Named one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative companies
- Won Chicago Tribune's "Game Changer" Award for industry innovation
About the position
We’re looking for a Senior UI Designer to help bring ideas to life. You’d partner with your product designer teammates to explore creative solutions and designs for new features and product improvements. You’d build prototypes to demonstrate what’s possible, collect authentic feedback from users, and show how interactions might elevate the overall experience. You’d act as a bridge between design and engineering, translating what’s expected from the design and what’s capable in code. You’d also defend our component library and style guide while contributing to it as we refine our brand identity.
What you’d be working on
You’d join the Guest team to help reimagine and redesign our guest experience. We’ve spent the last 4+ years dedicated almost exclusively to building innovative, robust tools for our restaurant customers and now we’re ready to share some of that attention with our guests. We’re ready to make Tock a household name and to do that we need a much more magical, insightful, and personalized way for guests to discover, search, and book reservations.
About the role
- You’re an individual contributor but have strong leadership and communication skills to foster a healthy environment between design and engineering
- You’re okay with ambiguity and enjoy exploring and defining projects with little oversight
- You're a problem solver, curious about the challenges faced in the hospitality industry, and how Tock might best serve our businesses and our guests through design and technology
- You have high standards for your work but strive to ship quickly and iterate frequently based on feedback
- You're driven by metrics, data, and research while always vouching for and empathizing with the end user
- You keep the business's constraints (time, budget, competition, etc.) in mind while exploring design solutions
- You have a deep knowledge of industry standard prototyping tools, like Framer, Figma, Adobe XD, or After Effects
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Full benefits (medical, dental, vision), 401k
- Paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- Free daily lunch
- Nitro coffee on tap
Please submit your resume and cover letter, letting us know why you're interested in Tock, using the link below.