Senior Visual DesignerChicago, IL
Tock is changing the way restaurants, wineries, and culinary event organizers run their business and how guests explore, discover, and book at these places all around the globe. This includes a robust reservation, guest, and table management system for businesses of all sizes.
Nick Kokonas and Chef Grant Achatz opened Alinea to international fanfare in 2005–now a perennial Michelin three star and widely considered one of the best restaurants in the world. For years they were spending $140,000 a year on staff dedicated to managing reservations and losing an average of $260,000 a year on cancellations. Knowing there had to be a solution to this problem, Nick started work on a new reservation system. The homemade platform was a success. Soon after, Nick founded Tock with Brian Fitzpatrick, founder of Google's Chicago engineering office, to turn his simple idea into a robust platform and change the way people dine around the world.
Tock’s explosive growth (as of May 2020):
- Awarded Built In’s “2020 Best Places to Work”
- Announced Tock’s platform will be powering JP Morgan Chase’s new Dining Program
- Won Chicago Tribune's "Game Changer" Award for industry innovation
- Reached a global customer base of 30 countries operating in 200+ cities
- Processed almost $1 billion in prepaid reservations
- Featured in: New York Times, Bloomberg, GQ, Vice, Wired, Food & Wine, Eater, Skift Table, Chicago Tribune, Crain's Chicago Business, New York Post, and more
- Named one of 2019's 50 Startups to Watch
Let us introduce ourselves
The Marketing team is a small but mighty crew of six tasked with the exciting responsibility of growing Tock’s brand and building awareness for our company and product. We are creative, nimble, and passionate about supporting our sales team, promoting our customers, and attracting guests to discover and book reservations.
You’d join as the third designer on the Marketing team but you’d also be part of our larger, cross-functional Design team. Along with Tock’s Product Designers, we collectively make up one extremely collaborative design team. Although we may hold different responsibilities, we support each other and explore ideas and projects together, because our mission, brand, and visual identity touch and impact everything we do.
Over 1,700 restaurants across the globe, from local favorites to the world’s best like Alinea, Eleven Madison Park, Noma, and The French Laundry, rely on Tock to manage reservations, reduce no-shows, increase sales, and improve hospitality. These restaurants—and bars, wineries, pop-ups, and event organizers—have booked over 20 million guests and processed nearly $700M in reservations using Tock. But as a brand Tock is still young with so much potential. For anyone eager to untap that potential, continue building a brand from scratch, take on the likes of OpenTable, and help build out our marketing and design team, this is an exciting opportunity.
About the position
We are looking for a brand-obsessed visual designer with an extensive background in both digital and print. You’ll lead and design the usual creative projects like ads and campaigns, email newsletters, sales collateral, social posts, and websites and landing pages. But you’ll also ask, what more can we do? How might we capitalize on our incredible customer base and set Tock apart from the competition? How might we build a brand that showcases our quality, knowledge, and passion? You’ll work closely with leadership to understand their goals and explore how we can answer those questions. You’ll bring your expertise and ideas to refresh our brand and raise our design standards. You’ll support our sales team with communication assets so they can more powerfully pitch Tock and onboard new restaurants. You’ll contribute to our guest outreach efforts and explore creative ways we can increase awareness and engagement—think editorial content, travel guides, dining newsletters, restaurant spotlights, interviews with chefs, and behind the scenes interviews.
- You are curious about the problems Tock is solving
- You are capable of independently leading design projects from start to finish
- You have experience showcasing a wide range of creative skills and initiatives—including digital and print—with a portfolio to back it up
- You love building brands and developing visual identities
- You enjoy playing the role of art director and thinking conceptually about creative ideas
- You are eager to work in a small, scrappy, and fast-paced startup environment that allows you to take on many responsibilities and own many projects
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills and are confident pitching ideas to leadership
- You have strong organizational skills, can manage multiple projects, and are comfortable working towards deadlines
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Full benefits (medical, dental, vision), 401k
- Paid time off
- Paid parental leave
Please submit your resume and cover letter, letting us know why you're interested in Tock, using the link below.