Senior Product Designer — Chicago, IL
Tock is changing the way restaurants, wineries, and culinary event organizers run their business and how guests explore, discover, and book at these places all around the globe. This includes a robust reservation, guest, and table management system for businesses of all sizes.
Nick Kokonas and Chef Grant Achatz opened Alinea to international fanfare in 2005–now a perennial Michelin three star and widely considered one of the best restaurants in the world. For years they were spending $140,000 a year on staff dedicated to managing reservations and losing an average of $260,000 a year on cancellations. Knowing there had to be a solution to this problem, Nick started work on a new reservation system. The homemade platform was a success. Soon after, Nick founded Tock with Brian Fitzpatrick, founder of Google's Chicago engineering office, to turn his simple idea into a robust platform and change the way people dine around the world.
Tock’s explosive growth (as of January 2020):
- Reached a global customer base of over 1,700 businesses in over 28 countries operating in 100+ cities
- Booked over 25 million guests
- Processed over $700 million in prepaid reservations
- Named one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative companies
- Named one of Built In Chicago's 100 Best Places to Work
- Won Chicago Tribune's "Game Changer" Award for industry innovation
Let us introduce ourselves
We are a small, passionate team of product designers who share a love for all things food and dining, which is why Tock’s mission attracted each of us. As designers, though, we come with our own skills and experience. Some of us are eager to get into the code, others the research and planning, and some prefer to focus on visual design polish and our growing design system. Wherever you fall on the design spectrum, we each wear the title of product designer. We solve problems through design and are armed with a variety of tools—pixels, prototypes, words, research, oh, and Figma.
Over 1,700 restaurants across the globe, from local favorites to the world’s best like Alinea, Eleven Madison Park, Noma, and The French Laundry, rely on Tock to manage reservations, reduce no-shows, increase sales, and improve hospitality. These restaurants (and bars, wineries, pop-ups, and event organizers) have booked over 20 million guests and processed nearly $700M in reservations using Tock, but as a product and company we’ve only just scratched the surface. We are far from bringing everything we’ve envisioned to life, so you'll have an opportunity to make a significant impact and shape that vision.
It’s an opportunity that’s incredibly rewarding for those who love solving big problems. We work closely with leadership and stakeholders across the company to develop business objectives, gather insights, prioritize problems and ideas, explore solutions, and coordinate feature releases. We interact directly with our customers to collect feedback and learn how we can help them run a better business. We sit alongside our engineers to explore creative solutions and push the boundaries on what’s possible. The hard questions—what do we do, what do we work on next, how does it work all, why—fall on us to answer.
About the position
Alongside our engineering teammates, we make up one collaborative product team. And within this team we've created two focuses: Reservations and Guests. We’re looking for Senior Product Designers to join each.
Chefs are willing to innovate in the kitchen, drill service to perfection, and spend gobs of money on the front-of-house. But often they forget that business innovation, booking templates, yield management, pricing, efficient marketing focusing on search and social, and accounting are as critical as the food they serve and hospitality they provide. A product designer on the Reservations team would help with just that. You’d lead the exploration, strategy, design, and rollout of new features that reimagine how restaurants operate. You’d ask questions like, how might we enable restaurants to sell more, make more money, generate more demand, market themselves better, and increase efficiency? Really, how can we help restaurants thrive?
People have an abundant supply of culinary recommendation sites, products, and expert content to guide their search. So there's no lack of quality content on the web, but we aim to cut through the noise and become the singular trustworthy source for quality dining experiences. As a product designer on the Guests team, you’d be responsible for elevating Tock—both our brand and our consumer-facing product—to a trustworthy dining destination. How can we capitalize on Tock’s already solid reputation and build a knowledgeable and insightful product that lets people explore, discover, and book reservations in new, more engaging ways?
- You are curious about the problems Tock is solving
- You are capable of independently leading projects from start to finish with demonstrated experience researching, designing, and launching products
- You have strong leadership skills to foster a healthy environment between design and engineering
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills and are confident pitching ideas to leadership
- You have a deep knowledge of industry standard prototyping tools
- You can create beautiful, high-fidelity designs
- You have high standards for how your designs look and work but you strive to ship quickly and iterate frequently based on feedback
- You are driven by metrics, data, and research while always empathizing with the user
- You keep the business's constraints (time, budget, competition, etc.) in mind while exploring design solutions
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Full benefits (medical, dental, vision), 401k
- Paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- Free daily lunch
- Stocked kitchen and nitro coffee on tap
- Sunny office in Chicago's West Loop neighborhood
Please submit your resume and cover letter, letting us know why you're interested in Tock, using the link below.